Sunday, October 6, 2013

Put a Stock in It!

I love this time of year. It's my favorite kind of weather and the changing, colorful leaves makes everything seem so cheerful to me. The other day while on a bike ride, it felt somewhat magical when the wind picked up and I rode through a parade of little yellow leaves falling from the trees--even though my nose was running and I was looking forward to getting a warm beverage once I was finished. Of course, typically autumn means cool, often rainy, days become the norm and we seek comfort from the chill that sometimes gets into our bones through hot, flavorful foods. Many of those foods, particularly the soups we tend to make this time of year, include the use of stocks (chicken, veggie, etc.). You can buy stock at the grocery store, of course, but why not make it yourself, particularly if you have the ingredients on hand and they may otherwise not get used.

For example, ever buy a rotisserie chicken or bake a whole chicken at home? What do you do with the leftover bones/carcass? I know, "carcass" isn't the most appetizing word, but if you can get past it, I highly suggest taking what's left of the bird (especially if there's some meat left on it), and making a stock with it. I did just that recently.



I used my slow cooker, so making this stock was unbelievably easy. If you have one I would suggest using it as well, because other than maybe stirring it occasionally, you can just let the stock simmer all day and not worry about keeping an eye on it. However, it's just as easy to make on the stove as well.


Gina's Chicken Stock 


Ingredients:
1 medium-sized leftover chicken carcass from a rotisserie (baked works fine, too)
3-4 carrots (washed, but no need to peel them)
3-4 celery ribs (again just washed, no need to trim)
1-2 onions, skin peeled and cut in half
1-2 bay leaves (if small, use two)
3-4 whole cloves garlic (peeled)
1 tsp whole peppercorns
1-2 tsp of sea salt (or more to taste, but be careful not to over salt)
1/2-1 cup fresh parsley (washed, but again... no need to chop)
2 -3 quarts of water

Another item needed: a good mesh strainer

Now, this may be hard to believe, but all you need to do, is put everything in the pot (slow cooker or large stove top pot) and cover it with water then set it on low heat, put the cover on, and leave it for the next 6-10 hours. You want the stock to simmer* for the entire time, so you can stop to stir it occasionally, but other than that, you can just leave it alone until you're ready for the only (not really) challenging part of making the stock: straining it and storage.

After about three hours my house was beginning to smell of chicken soup (the good homemade kind, not the ring o' noodle kind). And this is what the stock looked like:


I let it cook for another four hours, though. I wanted to get the most out of my stock, and the longer it simmers the more the flavor develops. But after seven hours, I was ready to use some of the stock, so it was time for straining it.

Now, if I didn't have a slight tendency to be klutzy, I probably could have picked up the ceramic insert from my slow cooker and poured the whole thing into the large bowl over the strainer, but I didn't want to chance having the stock go everywhere--so I chose the safe and easy way to strain it, even if it was a bit more time consuming.

Using a pair of tongs, I removed all the large items from the stock and placed them in the strainer over the bowl. (I wanted to make sure to get as much liquid as I could out of this stock, so I didn't want to toss the large pieces of chicken and veggies).

Once all the larger items were removed and sufficiently strained of all liquid, I tossed the items away. Then I started pouring the liquid through the strainer using a large ladle. Because chickens have some tiny bones and using a slow cooker makes everything fall apart, I actually strained the stock twice to make sure I didn't end up with any "debris" in my stock. But after I was done, I ended up with just over two quarts of richly flavored stock. I froze a little more than half of it and put the rest in the refrigerator to use throughout the week.




So simple and easy, and it's a great way to save or get the most out of your money. I'll without a doubt be doing this again.

*If you have it on the stove make sure it doesn't start to come to a boil, otherwise you could end up with a bit of mess and a lot of liquid loss, which you want to avoid so the stock retains all the intense flavors (that's the point of a stock after all). 

1 comment:

  1. Caldo Verde soup looks awesome GG! I'm def making that one.

    ReplyDelete